A Pop-Up Menu provides users with a quick way to access common actions for a highlighted item.
Rules of Thumb
- Select menu item names that are accurate and informative allowing user to predict the result of choosing an item.
- Choose names for menu items that are short and precise.
- Use separators to indicate groups of related items.
- If you use more than one word in a menu item name, be sure to use title-style capitalization.
- Use an ellipsis (…) to indicate to users that further action is required to complete the command. The ellipsis character means that a Dialog Box or a separate window will open allowing users to make additional choices or supply additional information to complete the action.
- Avoid combining actions and attributes in the same group. Users tend to view choosing an action differently from choosing an attribute.