A Dialog interrupts app processing to prompt a user to confirm an action or acknowledge a piece of information. It displays information along with a set of buttons allowing users to “Accept” or “Cancel” the actions presented within the Dialog.
Rules of Thumb
- Use a Dialog to:
- Ask users to confirm irreversible, destructive or expensive actions.
- Notify the user of an urgent event.
- Use buttons within a Dialog to confirm or cancel actions. Avoid using links or other components.
- Use clearly titled action buttons to exit a Dialog. Don’t use a “close box.”
- Title buttons by choosing a verb that describes its action.
- Use Dialogs sparingly as they interrupt critical workflow.
- Dialog text should be clearly written, brief and actionable.